These brownies are rich, chewy and secretly nutritious!
- 1/2 cup butter (or 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup applesauce)
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1-1/2 cup unbleached white ﬂour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup cooked beets
- 1/2 cup ﬁnely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
Melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Set aside to cool.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs until light in color and foamy. Add sugar and vanilla and continue beating until well creamed. Stir in chocolate mixture, followed by applesauce and beets.
Sift together ﬂour, salt, spices and baking powder and stir into creamed mixture. Fold in wheat germ and almonds.
Turn into greased 9×13- inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool before cutting into squares.