Created by Chef Max Shapiro
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread, divided
- 6 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 slices
- 1 large tomato, cut into 8 thin slices
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- 2 eggs beaten, or ½ cup of egg beaters
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine, or spread
1. On each of the 4 bread slices, place 1 cheese slice and 2 tomato slices; top with remaining bread slices.
2. Combine cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, and basil on a plate and mix.
3. In a shallow bowl, combine egg and milk, mix until well blended.
4. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large non-stick skillet or griddle.
5. Dip sandwich in egg mixture; coat. Then dip into cornmeal mixture.
6. Place 2 sandwiches to griddle. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat using remaining butter and sandwiches. Cut in half and severe with tomato soup, or seasoned tomato sauce for dipping.