Created by Chef Max Shapiro
In this recipe the fennel tastes fabulous in this creamy sauce, flavored with caraway seed. A crunchy bread crumb topping gives an interesting texture. I like to serve this dish with pasta, or serve it as a side dish with Beef or lamb.
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp. butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1⁄2 cup low -fat soft cheese, farmers, fresh mozzarella, havarti, ( in a pinch cream cheese)
- 2/3 cup light cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 cup fresh white or whole wheat bread. ( I like to use spent grain bread from the Pub) salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley sprigs to garnish (or any other garnish that you may have)
1. Bring a pan of water to a boil and add the lemon juice and fennel slices. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes to blanch, drain well and place in a greased casserole dish.
2. In a kitchen aid or food processor beat soft cheese until smooth. Add the cream, milk, and egg, and beat until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the fennel.
3. Melt 1 Tbsp. of the butter in a small skillet and fry the caraway seeds over low heat, stirring constantly, for 1 – 2 minutes until they release their aroma. Sprinkle them over the fennel.
4. Melt the remaining butter in a skillet . Add the bread crumbs and fry over low heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Sprinkle them evenly over the top of the fennel.
5. Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the fennel is tender. Serve immediately, garnish with sprigs of fresh parsley.