By Farmer John Paterson
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cups chopped celery with leaves (about 3 ribs)
- ½ cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 small
- medium leek, white and greens parts)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup dry vermouth (optional)
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Chopped fresh parsley
Melt the butter in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the celery, leek, and garlic; sauté for 2 minutes. Add the stock and vermouth; simmer until the celery is tender, 10-15 minutes.
Place a mesh strainer over a large bowl or pan. Strain the soup through the strainer. Return the soup to the pan and bring to a boil. Add the milk and reduce the heat so the mixture barely simmers; simmer for 5 minutes. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley.