Recipe Created By Chef Max Shapiro
I have been working on this recipe for the last 2 years and I think I have it. I really like to use this bread to make cocktail sandwiches, open faced and grilled cheese sandwiches. Pairs well with soups.
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp thyme, dried
- ½ tsp basil, dried
- ¼ tsp oregano, dried
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 ½ cups tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup Asiago cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Gouda, shredded
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly spray a 4 x 8 x 3 cast iron bread pan or (equivalent size pan).
3. Mix together in a large mixing bowl: flour, baking powder, salt, garlic, herbs, and sugar. Set aside.
4. In a med. bowl beat together: eggs, oil, milk, and lemon or lime juice. Mix until well smooth.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry; stir in until moistened (mix will be dry and looks like a crumble).
6. Stir in tomatoes, and cheese.
7. Pour into prepared pan.
8. Bake for 50 to 60 mins. Or until bread is baked through.
9. Cool for 10 mins. In pan.
10. Remove to cooling rack and cool completely.