By Max Shapiro
- 10 oz. mixed greens
- 12 slices French bread, plus extra to serve
- Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing on bread
- 12 thin slices of soft goat cheese ( Provencal, Picodon, etc.)
- fresh herbs , such as rosemary, thyme, or oregano, ﬁnely chopped
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to tasted
Wash greens and dry.
To make the dressing place listed ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake until well mixed; add salt and pepper to taste, then shake again. Set aside.
Under a preheated broiler, toast the slices of French bread until they are crisp. Brush a little olive oil on one side of the toast points while they are still hot- the oil will be absorbed.
Place the croutes on a cookie sheet and top each with a slice of cheese. Sprinkle the herbs over the cheese and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 5 mins.
While the croutes are in the oven, place the salad greens in a bowl. Shake the dressing again, and pour over the salad greens and toss. Divide the salad between 4 plates.
Transfer the hot croutes to the salad. Serve immediately. Serve with extra slices of french bread.