By David Page, Barbara Shinn, from Fine Cooking
Serves eight to ten.
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 7 scallions, finely chopped (about 2/3 cup) (or some of the onion from your box this week)
- 3 Tbs. apple-cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 3 to 4 Tbs. sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
In a medium stainless-steel bowl, soak the cabbage in the water and salt for half an hour. Drain the cabbage, rinse it, and drain any excess water. Toss the cabbage with the remaining ingredients and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours to allow the flavors to meld. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.