Created by Chef Max Shapiro
This Eastern European salad is made even better with the use of flavored oil, such as walnut or hazelnut. Don’t stop there–try using any flavor profile that is to your liking.
- 1⁄2 pound Salad turnips or radishes
- 1⁄2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp. Hazelnut oil, ( preferably unprocessed)
- 1/4 tsp. Ground white pepper
- 6 to 10 lettuce leafs whole, Bibb, Boston etc.
- 3 Tbsp. Finely minced fresh parsley
1. Using a food processor fitted with the smallest grater disc, or box grater, grate the turnips. Or by hand, by which I prefer, cut into thin match sticks.
2. Set a non-reactive colander in the sink or in a large bowl. Add turnips and sprinkle with salt. Let the salt sweat the turnips for about 15 minutes.
3. Transfer the turnips to a clean dish cloth and bring the ends together, twisting to extract excess liquid.
4. Place turnips into a medium size bowl and add hazelnut oil and white pepper.
5. Place lettuce leafs flat on a severing plate and divide the salad among the leafs. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and a tomato rose (optional) or chopped toasted Hazelnuts.