Created by Chef Max Shapiro
This colorful and ﬂavorful dish is a late summer delight, the brown sugar adds a hint of sweetness to this colorful dish. Soon to be your favorite late summer side dish.
- 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 lb zucchini, sliced
- 1 lb yellow summer squash sliced
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 3 Tbsp. Minced fresh basil, divided
- 1 medium sweet pepper color of your choice
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, heirloom of your choice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
Coat a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray (I like to use olive oil spray).
Spread uncooked rice into the bottom of the dish, layer zucchini, yellow squash, onion and half of the basil.
Top with sweet pepper, celery and then tomatoes
In a small bowl mix brown sugar, salt, and pepper, mix, then sprinkle over vegetables. Drizzle with olive oil.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tender
When ﬁnished baking uncover and sprinkle with remaining fresh basil. Serve.