Created By Chef Max Shapiro
This is an unusual side salad that is a good accompaniment to any simple Asian style entree, especially grilled or broiled seafood. (I love to serve this salad with Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with mango butter.)
- 1 small head of romaine lettuce
- 1 bunch of Green onions
- 1⁄2 cucumber
- 4 Tbsp. Fresh coconut, coarsely shredded and toasted
- 4 Tbsp. Lime juice
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 small fresh red chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
1. Tear or coarsely shred cleaned lettuce leaves and place them in a large salad bowl ( do not cut lettuce with a knife it bruises and wilts the lettuce, unless you use a lettuce knife).
2. Trim and thinly slice the green onion , tops and bottoms diagonally, then add to the salad bowl.
3. Use a vegetable peeler to shave thin slices along the length of the cucumber and add to the salad bowl.
4. Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a screw- top jar, close the lid tightly, and shake vigorously until well mixed.
5. Pour dressing over the salad and toss well to coat evenly.
6. Sprinkle the coconut over the salad and toss lightly just before serving.