From The New Moosewood Cookbook
- 2 t. olive oil
- 1 C. minced onion
- ½ t. salt
- 1 ½ t. cumin
- 2 t. chili powder
- 3 C. chopped tomatoes (4-6 medium size ones) peeling and seeding optional
- 1 C. water or tomato juice
- black pepper and cayenne, to taste
- 4-6 medium cloves garlic, minced
- Optional: freshly minced cilantro for the top
Saute the onion and salt in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add cumin and chili powder and sauté 5 minutes more.
Add tomatoes and water or juice. Simmer, partially covered, at least 30 minutes. Add the black pepper, cayenne and garlic at any time during the cooking. Add the cilantro when you are ﬁnished the cooking.