Recreated from Grandmother’s recipe By Chef Max Shapiro
This salad is one I grew up on. I like to use Hummus and this salad to make wraps in the summer for a lite lunch. I have also in the past used foods like olive, beets, and potatoes in this salad.
- 6 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 each medium sweet red, yellow, purple, and green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion any kind, thinly sliced
- 1 hot pepper of any kind, I use what ever is in my garden that is ready.
- seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. each minced fresh cilantro, parsley, dill, and mint
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, sweet pepper, cucumbers, carrots, onion, hot peppers, and herbs.
In a mason jar with lid add the remaining ingredients, put lid on jar and shake until well mixed.
Pour dressing over salad, toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Note: When working with hot pepper, cutting and seeding you should use rubber or plastic gloves to protect your hands. Avoid touching your eyes or nose. When done take gloves off and wash your hands twice.